Ani Karina Sarabia de Leon
- University Of The Philippines Integrated School, K-12, 1988
- University Of The Philippines, Bachelor of Interior Design, 1992
- TOWNS (The Outstanding Women in the Nation’s Service) Awardee for Sports, 2013
- Marie-Claire Women Of The World Awardee, 2008
- Cosmopolitan Fun Fearless Female Awardee, 2011
- Female Network 100 Amazing Filipinas Awardee, 2012
- One of 17 Most Influential People RaceDayMag
- Coach of the Year 2015 AsiaTri.Com
- Coach of the Year 2018 SwimBikeRun.PH
Current Positions Held:
- High Performance Coach, Triathlon Association Of The Philippines
- Team Manager & Coach, Unilab Active Health Elite Team
- Coach and Race Director, IronKids Philippines
- Coach, The Next Step Tri Coaching and Camp Series
- Team Manager & Coach, Team Black Arrow Express
- Consultant, Unilab Active Health
- Ambassador: Unilab Active Health, Black Arrow Express, Gatorade, Alaska, Adidas, Rudy Project, Cervelo, Dolfin Swimwear, Flipbelt
- Co-Founder: Amira Athletics
Triathlon Coaching and Training Highlights:
- Certified Level 2 Triathlon Coach, International Triathlon Union: completed coaching and camp requirements and attended coaching courses.
- Endurance Performance Systems Camp in Melbourne, Australia under Tony Benson 2002, 2004
- Noosa Triathlon Camp in Sunshine Coast, Australia under Nick Croft 2005
- High Performance Training Camp in Goldcoast, Australia under Col Stewart 2005
- Timex Multisport Team Camp, New Jersey, USA 2011 and 2013
- Desmor Sports Center, Rio Maior, Portugal Training Camp Sept 2014
- Asian Games High Performance Coach, Incheon Korea, 2014
- Sunshine Coast Triathlon Academy Training Camp, Mooloolaba Australia, March 2015
- Southeast Asian Games High Performance Coach, 2015
- Southeast Asian Games High Performance Coach, 2017
- TriSutto Coaching Camp, Mallorca, Spain, 2018
- Trisutto Coaching Camp, Sunshine Coast, Australia, 2018
- Completed TriSutto Certification, June 2018
- Asian Games High Performance Coach, Palembang, Indonesia 2018
- ITU Level 2 Updated License: Incheon, Korea in November 2018
Other Significant Highlights and Past Positions:
- First ITU Certified Female Multisport Coach in the Philippines
- Coach and Program Manager SuperTriKids Triathlon Youth Dev’t Program 2006-2011
- Coach of All Womens Running Clinics (Pinay in Action)
- Founding Member of First All Womens Cycling Team in the Philippines (Team Davids Salon)
Other Interesting Facts:
- 4th Placer in the Board Examinations for Interior Design, 1992
- Team Captain of the University of the Philippines High School Swim Team: 1991 to 1992
- Team Captain of the University of the Philippines Varsity Swim Team: 1993 to 1995
- UAAP and Palarong Pambansa multiple medalist for swimming
2000-2006: Olympic Distance Triathlon Career Highlights:
- 3 time Philippine National Champion 2002, 2003, 2006
- 3 time Philippine National Triathlon Trials Champion- Dumaguete 2001, Iloilo 2002, Cebu 2003
- Philippine Olympic Distance Triathlon Record Holder, 2005
- Represented Philippines in numerous International events like the Asian Triathlon Championships and Southeast Asian Games between 2001 and 2006
- Southeast Asian Games participant in two sports: Cycling and Triathlon
- First Filipino to ever break into the top 10 in Asian Triathlon Championships (2005)
- Various podium finishes in International Triathlon Events and Asia Cup Events including Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines
Long Distance Triathlon Career Highlights:
- Various podium finishes in International Triathlon Events including Australia, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines
- 14x Ironman Distance Finisher
- First Filipino to finish Challenge Roth, 2014
- First Filipina to qualify in the Ironman Triathlon World Championships
- Ironman Distance Triathlon Record Holder, 2002 to 2011, 2014
- 3x Hawaii Ironman Finisher, 2008, 2017 and 2018
- 1st place in the following races:
- Mekong, Thailand Sprint Triathlon
- Palaui Aquathlon
- White Rock Triathlon
- Subic International Triathlon
- 1st place Woman in the following races:
- Ironman Malaysia (30-34)
- Subic International Triathlon
- Tour Of Matabungkay
- 2nd place Woman in the following races:
- O3 Asian Long Distance Triathlon Championships
- Singapore 70.3 Triathlon (30-34)
- 1st place, Terry Larrazabal Bike Festival Women’s Open Road Race
- 2nd place, Ironman Malaysia (Women’s 30-34)
- 1st place, Subic International Triathlon Women’s Overall Age Group
- 5th place, Desaru International Long Distance Triathlon Malaysia
- 1st place in Age Group, and 2nd Overall Age Group Woman, Ironman 70.3 Putrajaya
- 1st place Female, Hamilo 8k Open Water Swim
- 1st place Female, ExTri Off Road Triathlon
- 1st place, Womens Category Team Time Trial Philippine Premiere Cycling League Race 1, Macapagal
- 1st place, Womens Category Team Time Trial Philippine Premiere Cycling League Race 2, Nuvali 4th place in Age Group, Ironman China 2010, Haikou, China
- 1st Overall Female Age Grouper, Subic International Triathlon, Subic Bay
- 2nd Overall Female, Men’s Health 20km Mountain Bike Race, Nuvali
- 1st Female, King of the Motorway 20km Individual Time Trial, Bangkok Thailand
- 2nd Filipino Elite Female, and 5th overall Female, Ironman 70.3 Philippines
- 1st Female Team, Team Time Trial Competition, Corratec Cycling Challenge
- 1st Female Age Grouper, Ironman 70.3 Taiwan, Kenting Taiwan
- 1st in Mixed Pair Category, XTerra Putik Pare (Muddy Buddy)
- 1st place Female, Zamba Sprint Triathlon
- 1st place, Female Overall Age Group, Asian Duathlon Championships
- 1st place, Female Overall Age Group, Mekong River International Triathlon
- April- December 2011 HAVING A BABY!
2012: New mom racing back into fitness year!
- Joined Ironman 70.3 Singapore 3mos after giving birth
- 1st Overall Female Age Grouper, Pico de Loro Tri
- 1st in Age Group 35-39, Tri United 1 Joined Ironman Australia 5 months after giving birth
- 1st in Age Group 35-39, 5150 Philippines
- 1st in Age Group 35-39, Tri United 2 2nd place in Age Group 35-39, 70.3 Philippines
- 1st Overall Female, Timex 226 Iron Distance Race, Bohol Philippines
- Run Anyway NYC Marathon
- Adidas King Of The Road
- Run United 1
- Run United 2
- 1st Overall Female, Tomaree Enduro Aquathlon, Nelson Bay Australia
- 2nd Overall Female, Tri United 1, Standard Distance, Subic Bay Philippines
- 1st Overall Female, Salomon X Trail Run, 24km, Hamilo Coast, Batangas Philippines
- 1st Overall Female, Durianman Triathlon Olympic Distance, Davao
- 1st Overall Age Group Female, Challenge Taiwan Ironman Distance
- 6th place Female, Run United 2 10k
- 9th place F35-39, Ironman Cairns, Australia
- 3rd Filipino Elite Female, Ironman 70.3 Philippines
- 1st in AG, Safeguard 2XU Sole Racing 21k Run
- Finisher, Ironman 70.3 World Championships, Las Vegas
- 3rd Filipino Female Elite, Safeguard 5150 Philippines
- 1st Female Overall, Tri United 3
- 3rd Female Overall, Tri United 4
- Finisher, Ironman 70.3 Canberra, Australia
- 2nd Place SEAG Elite Female, Challenge Philippines
- 4th Place Elite Female, Tri United 1
- Finisher, 11:08, Ironman Melbourne
- 1st Place Overall Female AG, Subic ITU Asia Cup Event
- 1st Place Overall Female, Dipolog Tri
- 4th Place Female, Run United 2 32km
- 2nd Place Elite Female, Tri United 2
- Finisher, 12:15, Challenge Roth (Ironman Distance)
- Tri United 4 (Guest participant, 2nd Elite Team Category)
- 3rd Female Elite, Tri United 1 Standard Distance
- 4th Filipino Elite, Century Tuna 70.3 Philippines
- (And 2weeks later, I find out that I was already 5 weeks pregnant for Tri United 1 and 6 weeks pregnant for Century Tuna 70.3. OOPS haha I’m due to give birth around Nov 5, 2015. See you at the races next year!!!
February: Tri United 1- 2nd Female Elite
March: Century Tuna 70.3- 3rd Female Elite
July: Tri United 2- 4th Female Elite
August: Cebu 70.3- 3rd Female Elite
October: Hefei 70.3- 5th in AG
November: Xiamen 70.3- 4th in AG
Mar 19: Atleta Ako- 1st in AG
April 2: Run United-Finisher
April 17: Boston Marathon- Finisher
May 21: Lobo Island Swim- 2nd Overall 5km Distance
August 6: Cebu 70.3- 3rd in AG
Oct 14: Ironman World Championships, Kona Hawaii- Finisher
Nov 12: Xiamen 70.3- 5th in AG
Dec 17: Sri Chinmoy 14km Sydney- Finisher
Mar 17: Tinman Long Distance Triathlon, Ilocos Sur- 1st Overall Female
June: Ironman Philippines Subic, 2nd in AG
August: 70.3 Cebu, 2nd All Female Relay
September: Bike King Duathlon, 2nd in AG
October: Ironman World Championships, Kona Hawaii- Finisher
November: 70.3 Xiamen, China- Finisher
34 responses to “Athlete & Coach Profile”
hi coach! just dropped by… nice site!
thanks jojo p 🙂
Hi do you do private training ?
If so what are your fees ?
Finally, you have your own site! You’re always gonna be my IDOL!!! Thanks for being such an inspiration Coach!!! 😀
eh ikaw na ngayon ang idol namin! super blooming ka pa 🙂 thank you din!
Hi do you conduct personal training in Marikina area?
Proud to be your student 🙂 Feeling young again. Hahaha
Hey Gelo a student like you will make any coach proud 🙂
Ani – you are an inspiration to many. Keep up the good work!
I am a proud Pinoy from California. You are a shining example to all Pilipinos. Keep up the good work.
Anyways, I am a very good friend of Maedel-Castrence Lara. Since her departure from Facebook, I can no longer contact her. Would you give her a message to email me if you can?
hi there! thanks so much for your very nice note 🙂 i did not even know she closed her facebook account. i will email you now in private so i can send you her email address 🙂
hi! reading your bio really inspired me to do more and do better. Do you facilitate any training clinics? Would love to be your student. =)
astig! keep it up girl.
It`s been a pleasure being coached by you, March powerade duathlon pos 162nd December powerade duathlon 13th the proof is in the pudding and a 1hour 40 h/marathon
AYN… MY IRON WOMEN… gr8 show there..i could feel the intensity of your work…in fack i was a high jumper turned …400mts hurdles…. and at last 20km walker.. u know what is sport and the life u hav…i appriciate your work as a dedicated human to the world of sport…wish u many laurals to achive…with warm hugs and regards…yours ever gr8 one on this mother earth…pk dinesh….tiger….grrrrrrrrr
just amazing, how i wish i could do confident swimming that will eventually help me join IRONMAN events
good day im mr rem ortega swim instructor and a coach, a bedan swimmer early 90’s. im here to ask if u need a volunteer coach in your swimming program. tnx and god bless
heres my no. 09273868095
thank you for your offer! where are you based?
thanks JM! 🙂
salamat po 🙂
Hi Ani! I’m so glad i found your blog. I noticed you had a baby last year, congratulations! Like you, i had a baby last Nov20th of 2011. Right now, i am working on getting back in shape. Will do the half marathon in San Francisco this coming April 8th. Guess who came into my mind first, YOU! Job well done on your coaching and training! 🙂 i guess i should ask tips from you for my runs lol. Anyway, take care. God bless and enjoy your new baby.
We have batchmate babies! Yes you can do it, let me forward this link to you I think you will like it: http://www.livestrong.com/article/460481-does-exercising-cause-breastmilk-to-dry-up/
hi, thanks for your website and your fantastic profile! ive been a workaholic since my college days, and vowed to join triathlon at least once in my life (im pretty sure other readers are already laughing). but due to my hectic schedule at work, i cant afford to do this regularly. now in my early 30s, im slowly getting the ideal time that i can commit for training. i need a coach to train me to join the triathlons. this is very new to me. so i will need to know if theres a coach out there that you can recommend. i can swim, run, and bike. im 5’10” and overweight. please help! waiting for your reply. thanks a lot!
i can help you locate a coach near you, where are you based?
thanks for the quick reply. that would be great! thanks. im located at Quezon City, near West Avenue, I go to UP for jog once a week because its nearer. if in case, here’s my email address: warrenchua at gmail dot com.
hi there! you can go to coach jojo macalintal, kindly contact him i will email you his no now
hi Ms. rina
me and my husband are looking for a triathlon coach who will train us from the beginning since we are both new to this…mind helping us find one? or maybe we will get you instead 🙂 we are from Cainta/Marikina…awaiting for your reply…big thanks and stay blessed!
Wow! You’re such an inspiring woman! I’m having difficulty getting back in shape after my surgery (exploratory laparotomy/salpingectomy) due to ectopic pregnancy. I’m hoping you can recommend someone who can train me how to run& swim correctly considering my body’s condition. Need to improve metabolism, strength and endurance. Can’t do high-impact activities while healing but I’m allowed to swim already, i think. Makati-Mandaluyong area. 🙂
gusto kng sumali 🙂 pero dq alam kng paano
Hi Ms. Rina!
So glad I found this site and discovered an EMPOWERING woman like you. You truly an inspiration.
I am a new mom and feel the need of getting back in shape. I’ve been wanting to try triathlon, just didn’t know what to do, where to go. I’ve been looking for a triathlon coach who will train a newbee with no experience at all in cycling and swimming but a had a little in running. Could you help me find one that is based here in Cebu?
Looking forward to receiving your reply.
Marion, Cebu City
Im looking for a local coach and just happened to come across your site. Are you still coaching? If not could you lead me to the right direction? Thank you for your time.