Category Archives: Events
In 2002, the first Iron Distance Triathlon (3.8km swim/180km bike/42.2km run) in the Philippines was held in Matabungkay Batangas, called the Phil Irondistance 2002. It was organized by First Wave Tri (Raul Cuevas, Ricky Ledesma, Lito Fugoso). The second one was put up a year after, called the Enduraman, organized by Karlo Magpayo and co, held in Subic Bay Philippines.
After a long wait, on Dec 3 this year, the third race of this distance finally came into fruition, and was organized yet again by Raul Cuevas and Bike King. Known as TIMEX 226 because of the total combined distances of the swim bike and run legs, it is the first title sponsorship and banner event of Timex Philippines for a triathlon race (although Timex has been active in sponsoring runs and triathlons both here in the Phils. and abroad).
Anda Beach in Bohol proved to be a beautiful venue, and Governor Art Yap was an equally welcoming host to the 66 participants. There were 63 males and 3 females, mostly Filipino racers with two Singaporeans in the mix. A total of 6 local teams supported the event, namely Timex TMM (14), Bike King (4), Polo Tri (3), Quest 825 (7), Tri North (3), and Sport Spray (3).
Here are some more quick facts about the race:
- Some of the highly respected names in the triathlon community who joined are Arland Macasieb of Filamtri/ Athlete Octane, Alvin Alindogan of Timex TMM, August Benedicto of PMI, and Neil Catiil of Timex TMM, .
- Aside from Alvin, Rommel Fernandez of 7-eleven Multi Sport Team and Omar Paredes of Herbalife are Timex226 participants who were also present in the 2002 Phil Iron distance race.
- The after-party hosted by Congressman Art Yap was a blast. Bottomless beer, crabs, lechon, barbecue, chicken, and more were served. Among the prizes for the party games were Timex watches, free hotel accommodations in Anda, and free entry to next year’s Bohol Triathlon.
- Second to the last finisher was Jun Cunanan of Timex TMM. He arrived 30 min ahead of Luis Arcangel, the last finisher, but decided to wait for Luis at the finish line. The two of them then crossed the finish line together.
- Alvin Alindogan, who took 1st place in his age category, slowed down only 19 minutes in his finish time in a span of 9 years since the Matabungkay triathlon.
- Participant Edgar Villar AKA ‘Boy Power’, 61 years of age, biked from Davaoto CDO, CDO to Boholport in Tagbilaran to get to the race venue. He also biked his way to Anda the day before the race! He finished 3rd in his age group.
- Neil Catiil had to drop out of the race because he collapsed in the 1st loop of the run course. His body was rejecting his nutrition, and he was 2nd to Arland in leading the race when he dropped out.
A respectful salute and hearty congratulations to our newly-forged Timex 226 Iron Men and Women! And a big pat on the back to the organizers, Bike King, Timex Philippines and the Sponsors. See you all next year!
Official Race Results:
Every September, Gabriel’s Symphony Foundation, an organization dedicated to helping children facing various challenges in life, holds a 12-Hour Multi Sport Event to raise funds for its cause (http://gabrielsymphony.com/). As always we planned a whirlwind of activities for our participants and supporters, including a swim-a-thon, bike-a-thon, adventure race for kids, aquathlon and triathlon for kids, run races, soccer and martial arts demos, and a small expo area.
A lot of people showed up to help including The Younghusband Football Academy, Triathlon Association of the Philippines, P.A.V.I.C.Philippines, Hyundai, and local age group teams and triathletes like Arland Macasieb, Nonoy and Joyette Jopson, Maiqui Dayrit, Willy Chiongbian, and Hans Kristian Juan. Kristian biked for 12hours straight, his 5th year of doing so, and Maiqui, who does an Ironman during the event every single year, actually qualified for Kona this October and will bring the cause of Gabriel’s Symphony all the way to the World Championships!
My favorite parts of the day of course, were the kids races. I am so proud of the participants for wanting to help their fellow children in need. (to read more, please click this link: http://teamtimex.timexblogs.com/2011/09/04/making-childrens-lives-better-year-9/ )
To view album, please click:
Don’t ask me why I’m only posting these now after all these months, but better late than never! Just wanted to show you guys a few of our wedding pictures. A very lovely day for us and even more so because we were able to share it with the people whom we cared for the most 🙂
Greetings to all our Gabriel’s Symphony Foundation friends and supporters!
It is with great happiness that we invite you to the 9th staging of the Gabriel’s Symphony 12Hour Multi-Sport Celebration in Memory of Gabriel.
The main thrust of the foundation is to make a difference in the lives of children with special needs. These include children with cleft lip and palate and those who are visually and hearing-impaired. We have also been helping indigent children develop their potential, such as the children of Daang Hari and Marillac Hills, some of whom have shown potential as runners and athletes. To read more about advocacies and programs, please click: http://gabrielsymphony.com/?page_id=13
As always, we have prepared a lot of activities for everyone on Saturday, September 3 2011 at the Alabang Country Club. Some of these include:
1. One Hour Swim-a-thon
2. One Hour Run-a-thon
3. Two Hour Bike-a-thon
4. Triathlon for Adults
5. SuperTriKids Triathlon
6. Mile Run Races: Buddy Run and Walk Your Dog
All the details for the activities mentioned are on our website. We will also have demonstration games by the Younghusband Football Academy, and an Adventure Race for Daang Hari and Marillac Hills children. Timex and Alaska Milk are sharing with us their fun activity booths and puzzles for the kids as part of this.
For those who want to donate old shoes, swimbikerun.ph will also have a booth there. You may also want to check out our Recycling Depot Project: http://gabrielsymphony.com/?p=367
We hope you can join us celebrate with Gabriel on September 3, looking forward to seeing you all there!
Gabriel’s Symphony Foundation
HI all! Here’s a great guide for those joining on Aug 13 2011. We are excited to give you all a great race!
I recently received an award from Cosmopolitan Magazine, as apparently I am a Fun Fearless Female, fancy that!
It was a great surprise having found out I won the readers’ poll and come to think of it, quite flattering as I don’t really know how many women I have reached out to… maybe more than I think, haha 🙂 Anyway we had a lovely evening with the other awardees who showed up, including Venus Raj, Cristalle Belo Henares, Anne Curtis, Andi Manzano, Frenchesca Farr, and Raissa Laurel.
Here are some of the photos my proud husband took…